St Bride Library, © Copyright David Smith
St Bride Library, © Copy­right David Smith

The St. Bride Foun­da­tion is home to the renown St. Bride’s Library, a won­der­ful col­lec­tion of let­ter­press (and gen­er­al print­ing) resources.

Ben Wein­er from St Bride Library out­lines the class­es avail­able:

In Autumn 2010 St Bride Foun­da­tion began to run reg­u­lar class­es in relief print­ing tech­niques at the Foun­da­tion build­ing in Bride Lane for the first time since the 1920s.

We launched the new work­shop with a range of short cours­es that teach basic skills and give famil­iar­i­ty with some of the ter­mi­nol­o­gy, equip­ment and activ­i­ties essen­tial to let­ter­press work. These cours­es run in the day­time and dur­ing evenings and week­ends. Par­tic­i­pants get to use some of the press­es which form part of St Bride Library’s col­lec­tion as well as oth­er equip­ment includ­ing an Adana and a Van­der­cook press.

We plan to cov­er the kin­dred trades, espe­cial­ly linocut­ting and book bind­ing. We also plan a range of more advanced cours­es that will give par­tic­i­pants more scope to cre­ate and ful­fil their own briefs work­ing with the guid­ance of an expe­ri­enced prac­ti­tion­er.

We wel­come enquiries about our cours­es and hope to become a sig­nif­i­cant con­trib­u­tor to the let­ter­press print­ing com­mu­ni­ty. Full details of the work­shop are at http://printworkshop.stbride.org/